Let’s talk about soup! Autumn is officially here, so we are more into any kind of comfort food. I think a warm, filling soup is one of them. This potato soup is so perfect and easy to make, that you will all love it. At least, I hope. It is ready within an hour and the only thing that can be a bit difficult for someone who just started to cook is to make the soup a bit thicker. Nevertheless, I’ll give you as much advises as possible. I hope they will be useful!
Now see how to make this heart-warming soup for the cold and rainy days.
- 5 medium potatoes
- 1 onion
- 3 medium carrots
- 2 stalks of celery
- salt and pepper
- 75g vegan butter (or 5-6 tbsp olive oil)
- 4 tbsp buckwheat flour
- 400-500 ml rice milk
- chives for topping (optional)
- Chop the onion, the carrots, the potatoes and the celery stalks into small cubes. In a soup pot put a little oil. Turn on the heat, put the veggie cubes in it, and fry them. It will give the soup a bit more intense taste. Fry it for five minutes and stir it sometimes. Don’t let it to burn down.
- Pour water in the pot just above (2-3 cm) the veggies. If you put too much it can get too watery. Add as much salt, as you prefer and a bit of a pepper. Turn up the heat let to soup to get to the boiling point. Then turn down the heat a bit and cover your pot. Stir the soup sometimes. Cook it until the veggies are tender.
- When the veggies are done, in a saucepan put the olive oil or the butter. Both can work pretty well, the difference is about the taste and creaminess. With butter, even if its vegan, it will have that buttery taste and it will be slightly creamier than if you use olive oil. Btw, I used that and it was still very delicious. So, Oil in the pan, turn on the heat and make the oil hot. Put the flout in it and stir it constantly. Don’t really stop it because it can burn very easily. After 1-2 minutes of frying the flour, start to add the rice milk and still stir it. First, it will thick very quickly. Add the milk slowly (it can be that you don’t need all of it). So when it thickens, add a bit more, stir again, and add again. Until you get a smooth creamy mix.
- Add this mix to your soup and stir it constantly. Cook it for 5 more minutes and turn off the heat. Plate the soup and sprinkle some chopped chives on the top.
This soup is not that difficult once you are comfortable to do this thickening method. After few times you will make it better and better, it just matter of time and practice. The only thing you have to remember is that you stir it constantly and don’t let it to burn.
Have fun with cooking!