Pumpkin season is not only all over the markets and the supermarkets, but also around the internet now. If you want to make something with it, you can find billion recipes and ideas. It is kind of a heaven for me because I love this vegetable! I could eat it anyhow, it would be good. Today, I want to share a classic recipe with you. The main ingredients of course, pumpkin!
Risotto is such a perfect dish any time during the year! You can prepare it on a lot of ways, your options are infinite. It’s creamy and delicious. However, I cannot eat any dairy, which means, this recipe will be dairy free and vegan. It is still a lovely plate of risotto even without the parmesan.
I am going to write the recipe as detailed as possible, so then anyone can understand it. Even if you’ve never done any risotto, you can give it a try. It really is not that difficult but treats you with a great bowl of food.
- 650 g pumpkin (approx. a half of a pumpkin)
- 800 ml vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 250 g risotto rice
- 150 ml wine
- 4 leaves of sage
- salt, pepper
- pumpkin seeds and fresh sage for garnish
- First, make your own puree. Peel and cut into cubes the pumpkin. Put it in a pot with a little oil and very little water. Cover it and cook it like this until it’s completely soft. When it is done, just blend it and set it aside.
- Chop the onions, the sage leaves and the two cloves of garlic.
- Put oil in a pan and fry the onion, the garlic and the sage. When they are done, add the risotto rice and stir them together (for 2-3 minutes). Add the wine and stir it until it absorbs. Don’t worry about it, the alcohol and the taste of it will be completely gone. It just gives a little perfect kick for your meal. (It is also important that you use good quality wine! Don’t mind to pay a little more. Even if you don’t finish the bottle, you can store it in your fridge and use it with the next risotto. Good quality will give you better taste.)
- Now add a ladle of vegetable stock, salt and pepper. Turn the heat down then it will be only simmering, It will cook slower but better. Stir it.
- When the stock is absorbed add one more ladle, stir and repeat this until your rice is cooked. If you don’t have enough stock, add hot water instead.
- When everything is cooked, absorbed, add the pumpkin puree. Mix it together and cook it for 5-7 more minutes.
- Plate it with pumpkin seeds and a little fresh sage. Enjoy it!
Don’t be afraid to make risotto! It is a lovely meal and with some practice, you can make your skills perfect. Just remember, that you need to stir a lot, and add the stock ladle by ladle, when the previous one absorbed.
Have a great time with cooking!