I always am interested in another type of cuisine. Play around in the kitchen, try new recipes, read about them, watch lots of tv-shows about cooking, etc. My mind is always hungry just like me. The last few weeks I’m excited about curries. I’ve eaten them a lot of times previously, however, I’ve never made them before. Few weeks ago, I thought I give it a try. You can read about one of my creation today.
If you haven’t done any curry cooking at home et, prepare yourself, because you and your house (not only the kitchen) will smell like your food and the spices in it. The base of every curry is to fry thy spices and they contain a lot. Seriously, be prepared. I love these smells, so I don’t mind it at all. It makes the meal so inviting and your home alive.
I tried few recipes, luckily, every one of them were success (I was brave enough to test them on others). On Monday, I had a free day, so randomly I decided to make a curry and cook it online on Instagram. I just went to the supermarket and bought everything what I thought is good together from the previous meals. It turned out so delicious, that I must share the whole recipe with you. When I was cooking, I had to measure everything, that’s why there were no exact amounts. Now here they are in a detailed post.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 350 g chicken breast
- 1 cup rice (literally)
- 2 cups water
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 cm ginger
- 250 g frozen spinach cubes
- 350 ml coconut milk
- 3 tsp curry
- 2 tsp cumin (grounded)
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 ½ turmeric
- 1 ½ coriander seed (grounded)
- 3 spring onions
- salt, pepper
- coconut oil
- Firstly, make the rice. I have learned I from my grandmother, mother and my step mother how to make a really good rice. They do it on the same way and it has a perfect consistency. Not sticking too much together and it’s nice even the next day. So, put 2 tbsp coconut oil in a pot. Warm it up. Pour the rice in a cup. Pour it in the pot and fry it for few minutes. Add some salt as well. After frying it, add double amount of water. In this case, we had 1 cup of rice so we add 2 cup of water. Stir it once, then put the lid on. Don’t stir the rice at all. When you see, that the water is gone (approx. 15 minutes, but check it sometimes), turn the heat off and put the lid back. Leave it like this until you serve the food.
- While your rice is cooking, prepare everything else. Peel and cut the onion into small pieces. Peel the garlic and the ginger as well. Cut the chicken into small pieces. Mix the spices (grounded cumin, curry, grounded coriander seed, cinnamon, and turmeric) together in a bowl. Use a grater for your ginger.
- Add 2 tbsp coconut oil in a pan. Fry the chicken breast cubes. Season them with salt and pepper. When they are done, take them out from the pan in a bowl. Set it aside.
- Add 3-4 tbsp coconut oil in the pan. Add the spices, smash the garlic into it and add the ginger. Fry them for at least five minutes. If you think it needs more oil, then you can add it. Meanwhile, chop the spring onion (also the green part).
- Add the onion and cook it until it’s ready. Add also the white part of the spring onion. After that, pour the coconut milk into the pan. Add some salt and pepper. Cook it for 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach. I used frozen cubes, they are as good as fresh ones, if you use the right quality. Stir it in and let it to melt. When it’s a perfect mixture, add the chicken breast and cook it for few more minutes.
- You are ready to plate your dinner. Put the rice in a bowl and add the curry. top it with the green part of the spring onion and squeeze lime juice on the top.
This meal is so delicious, that I hope you will try it sometime. Full with tastes and good for lunch or dinner, whenever you want to.
Have a nice time with cooking!