Another recipe with black rice, but on a different way… Do you remember when we were young and we had some comforting, warm, creamy rice pudding? We put some cinnamon on it, jam, fruits, or some vanilla. It tasted like heaven! I still love this dessert, and I was desperate to make a fun, delicious version of it, which is of course, dairy free.
To bring the fun into it, I was thinking to make it with black rice. It originally has a bit sweeter taste, so why not? However, it is really not easy to work with it. You have to think in advance. Black rice has to soak in water at least 4-6 hours before you use it, but the best if you leave it in the water overnight.
If you dare to make this and you love rice pudding, then this is your dessert! It is sweet, creamy, haven awesome taste from the black rice and that mango is perfect with it. You can also use this recipe with other kind of rice as well, but then you need to rethink the time. With white rice it would be definitely much quicker. Now, let’s see how I made it.
Ingredients (for 2)
- 150 g black rice
- 250 ml coconut milk (the cream what you use for cooking)
- 1,5 tsp stevia
- 300 ml rice-coconut milk
- 1 vanilla stick
- 1 mango
- ground cardamom
- Soak the black rice for at least 4-6 hours. If you don’t do it, you can try but then it takes much longer to cook it.
- Rinse the water. Put the rice in a pot, add the coconut cream, 200ml coconut-rice milk and the stevia. Turn the heat on.
- Slice the vanilla stick in half, take the inside out and put it in the pot. You can also put the two piece of sticks into it. It adds extra flavor.
- Let it simmer. During the whole cooking process you need to stir it every 5 minutes then it will be extremely creamy. When the liquid is thick, add 50ml coconut-rice milk again. When it absorbs add the other 50ml.
- Simmer it until the rice is done. If you need you can add more milk.
- Meanwhile, cut the mango into little cubes. Put them in a pot with a hint of ground cardamom. Cook it until it’s like a thick jam.
- Plate them together!
It was such a great pudding, that I ended up to finish the whole pot in one evening, so be careful, it is addictive! 😛
Have you ever tried to make rice pudding with black rice?
Have a nice time with cooking!