There are certain food that bring you back to your childhood. It can be anything comforting. Our brain and taste buds are just so amazing, that it can create such a warm feelings, when you taste something, which reminds you of your childhood. For there are lots of meals, because we always cooked at home (well mostly, sometimes we made some drama to go to the McDonalds… :D).
Well, the main event always was on Sunday. The family was together at some of the grandparents, or at my father’s place and we always had chicken soup! Almost every single Sunday. I loved it then, and I love it know. When I was younger, I had no idea how healthy it is. Of course, I got it when I was sick and everybody told us that this is very good for ourselves, but still… I didn’t know why.
Now, when I have more knowledge about food, I got it. It is one of the best things what you can do with your body! Bone broth (which is the base of the chicken soup) is amazing for your healthy! Basically, it cures your soul as well. Let’s see, for what it is good exactly.
Benefits of bone broth:
- treats leaky gut syndrome (what I have!!!);
- helping for your good bacteria to grow;
- it is very easy to digest, soothing to your digesting system;
- helps with food intolerance and allergies;
- helps to keep healthy your joints and protect them;
- boots your immune system;
- any kind of bone broth boost healing;
- it is packed with collagen, glutamine, glycine, which helps with your health;
- because of the collagen, it helps for your skin health;
- boost detoxification.
Seriously, it is one of the best thing you can do with your body. The best If you drink it every single day. I’m not even close to joking. You can prepare a huge pot of soup, keep it in your fridge, and drink/eat it every single day. You can also freeze it, it won’t make any harm.
You have lots of options, when it is about bone broth. You can use any kind of bone (even fish), and cook it for pretty long time. You can even put it on the stove somewhere in the afternoon and cook it until the morning (of course checking on it during the night, so you need to set up some alarm), then it is the best, because every beneficial nutrition is out from the bones. You can even use the bone of the grilled chicken (only for broth), it doesn’t matter.
This recipe has a very good base for the chicken bone broth, but I made it to a complete nice soup so you can have it anytime. What you can also do, that you cook the chicken then save half of the broth to drink in the mornings and make the other part for soup.
Now, that I talked so much about it, lets see the recipe of this heartwarming, perfect soup. However, it is hard to say the exact amount of the ingredients. Depends how much you make, how many extras you want in it, personal preferences, etc. But this is how I do it.
Ingredients (for 5-6 liters)
- 5 chicken legs
- 3-4 medium carrots
- 2-3 medium parsley roots
- ½ celeriac (if it’s big)
- 2-3 celery stalks
- 2 onions
- 4-5 big garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp whole black peppers
- lots of salt
- Put the chicken legs in a pot of water, and turn the heat on. Add the pepper and about 2 tsp of salt (don’t be shy). Cook it on high (without lid) until you can see some foam. 30-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, Prepare the celeriac, the celery stalks, the onions and the garlic. Wash the celeriac and the celery stalks. Don’t need to peel them. Cut them into bigger pieces. Peel the garlic cloves. Cut the two ends off of the onions, and take the first 1-2 layers off. If there are more brown layers, it is okay.
- When you see the foam, take it off from the soup. It helps to keep it cleaner, but you can also leave it, if you have no preferences like that.
- Add the prepared vegetables and cook it for 1-2 hours. (other option, cook only the bones for a long time, take the half of the broth out to keep it for drinking, then add the veggies and cook it for 1 hour.)
- Prepare the other vegetables. Peel and cut into little pieces the carrots and the parsley roots. Tie the parsley together.
- When you cooked long enough the broth, take out the half, if you want to save it for drinking. Take the veggies out too and add the chopped vegetables and the parsley. You needed to tie it, because it is easier to take it out in the end.
- Cook it for 45 minutes. Check if you need more salt.
- Take the chicken legs out, and shred the meat off from the bones. Put them back in the soup.
- Plate your soup and garnish it with fresh parsley.
This soup really is magic! Anytime, when you feel down, or just want to give yourself a little boost, drink this liquid magic and you’ll immediately will feel the benefits of it. It is so rich and flavorful, that it truly makes me happier and cozier, when I have it.
Do you make bone broth for yourself? Are you aware of these beautiful beneficial?
Have a wonderful time with cooking!