Today, I’m about to share one of my all-time favorite recipe. You know already, that I love gnocchi. It is simple to prepare (or at least not that difficult), needs only few ingredients, but the result is beyond delicious. I have also shared a recipe about the basic gnocchi here already, if you missed it, click HERE to check it out. Now let’s go to this delicious sweet potato gnocchi.
So, to make gnocchi, you don’t need any special skill. It takes a bit of time but it is also simply. My version is completely gluten and dairy free. I also didn’t use any egg in it so it makes it vegan safe as well. The added extras are very versatile, you can add anything you feel like to. With this recipe, I just wanted to go as simple and tasteful as possible.
The mini mushrooms had such a strong and perfect flavor what I was combining with sage, garlic, thyme and rosemary. I don’t think it could get any better. Seriously. I remember, when I was shooting this, I was craving to eat it, and between every photo taking, I went back to the pan to grab another fork of bite. Finally, get to the recipe.
Ingredients (for two)
For the gnocchi
- ~250 g sweet potato
- 140 g GF flour mix
For the sauce:
- 300 g mini mushroom
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp vegan butter
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 sage leaf
- 1/2 tbsp rosemary
- 1 tbsp thyme leaf
- salt, pepper to taste
- Boil water and cook the sweet potatoes in their skins until they are fork tender, soft. It’s important to keep them unpeeled, otherwise they can get too watery.
- Meanwhile, measure the flour, cut the mini champignons in half. Chop the green herbs and set them aside. Peel the garlic and mince them.
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked, take them out of the water and peel them. Of course, wait a little bit but start to work with them while they are warm. It will make your gnocchi better. When they are peeled, use a potato riser or if you don’t have that, then a grater to shred them.
- Add the flour and salt to the potato then mix it together. Knead the dough until it is completely mixed and roll it into a long shape. Rest it for 10 minutes under a clean kitchen towel.
- Cut it in five pieces and roll them in a snake form. Try to make it equal wide everywhere. Cut it into 2 cm pieces. You have three options now. 1. Leave them like that; 2. push it in a bit with your finger; or use a fork and roll it down. Like that you will get the original gnocchi shape.
- Add the butter and the olive oil in a pan and boil water in another pot (for the gnocchi).
- Add the herbs and the garlic in the heated oil and butter mixture. Fry them for 2-3 minutes but don’t let it burn.
- Add the champignons with salt and pepper to taste. Sauté them until they are a bit crispy outside and have golden color. When the water is boiling, add the gnocchi to cook.
- Take the gnocchi out from the water when they are cooked (floating on the surface of the water for like 2 minutes) and put them into the pan with the champignon.
- Fry everything together to get a crispiness for the gnocchi as well.
- Plate it and enjoy it!
It seems to be a lot of steps, and it takes time to make the gnocchi, but oh my… It is just so delicious together with these herbs! I couldn’t get enough of this at all. When you try it, you will agree with me! Trust me! 😉
What is your favorite way to make gnocchi?
Have a fun time with cooking!