There are always some food what we call comfort food. What you eat and fills your heart with warmth and you could eat it anytime, especially in the winter. Or when you go to the IKEA and eat those delicious Swedish meatballs… Well, I always loved them and I will for sure. However, they contain gluten and dairy, so I must stick to my own, homemade version.
I don’t mind to do my own at all. I need to transfer original recipes to be good for my gut/health and I always hope it will be as delicious as the original one. In this recipe I wasn’t disappointed at all. I loved it so much, that I couldn’t stop eating it. Even the others who were eating it, loved it! And they love the original IKEA meatballs as well. So, I was pretty good to see how they liked it.
Let’s get to the details. It is gluten and dairy free completely. Even like this it is very creamy, the sauce is buttery and has the perfect meaty taste. With the good amount of ingredients, you cannot even notice that I have used buckwheat flour (it has a bit of a strong taste). The meatballs are so tasteful, that they could cheer you up anytime. Every piece is a mini heaven in your mouth. The other important thing is to use pork and beef meat. If you use this combination of minced meat, you will get a perfect juicy consistency to your meatballs. But enough of the talk, let’s see the recipe of these gluten and dairy free Swedish meatballs.
Ingredients (20-22 small meatballs)
- 250 g minced beef
- 250 g minced pork
- 1 egg
- 1 medium onion (small diced)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp GF bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 tbsp vegan butter
- 500 ml beef broth
- 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp buckwheat flour
- 150 ml rice cream
- salt, pepper to taste
- + topping: chopped parsley
- Mix the ingredients of the meatball, very well. Let it sit under cover for one hour. Then the flavors will combine completely and perfectly.
- Make small balls. I used a table spoon to measure the balls. Try to make them with the same size.
- In a skillet, heat up the olive oil and 1 tbsp vegan butter. Cook the meatballs in it until every side of them are brown. When they are ready, take them put from the skillet and set them aside until you make the sauce.
- Add 4 tbsp vegan butter into the same skillet. When it is completely melted then add the corn starch and the buckwheat flour. Fry it a little bit until it is brownish.
- Add the broth and the cream. Mix it well and constantly to avoid any lumps. When it got thick enough, add the other ingredients. Cook it until completely combined and creamy.
- Add the meatballs and cook it for few more minutes. When it’s done sprinkle it with freshly chopped parsley for the extra flavor.
It does take time to prepare it, but still doable and trust me, worth it. It is creamy, and extra flavorful. Lovely main meal to add a little comfort to your day.
Have you ever tried to make your own ‘IKEA’ meatballs?
Have a great time with cooking!