I guess we all like a warming and comforting bowl when the weather is cold. However, the spring is just around the corner, so we want something refreshing, colorful and delicious! Now I`m all over it and just would love to eat these kinds of food, but keeping the spiciness. That’s why falafel is such a great meal to make!
Falafel is a very delicious, spiced little bite, what you can use on a lot of different way. It is made out of chickpea, which is very nutritious and fills you for a long time so your appetite will be under control (because of that it is a good way to manage your weight if that is your goal). It has lots of fiber, iron, protein, folate, copper (which is a very important element to absorb iron) and manganese.
If you are vegan, this is one of the best ways to take your protein. This delicious food is full with it, so falafel basically a perfect way to add plant-based protein to your diet. It’s very similar to lentils and beans.
Chickpea is also controlling your blood sugar level. It is because as I wrote previously, it’s full with fiber and protein. This leads us to another benefit, that it is very good for your digestion (with lots of water intake as well!). It can increase the number of your ‘good’ bacteria, and keep them fed. Besides that, it is also controlling them, so they won’t overgrow in your guts.
For me, this is one of the most important reason to take them and eat them regularly. I have to keep my gut bacteria in control but also alive. You can add it to your diet roasted 9as a snack), in hummus form (my other favorite), as falafels (spiced and delicious way), and there are so many more. Now, let’s stick with the falafel.
As you can see, this is a real vibrant green bowl full with other healthy ingredients. Fresh, crunchy, tasteful! It is also completely gluten free and vegan, which means, it is dairy free too. Cannot wish for more. So, we can get to the recipe now.
Ingredients (for two)
- 200 g pea
- mixed greens
- 1 avocado
- fresh baby spinach
- roasted chickpea (optional)
- black sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 lemon
- 300 g chickpea (completely rinsed and dried)
- 1 medium shallots
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp smoked sweet paprika powder OR chili powder
- 4 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 handful of fresh and chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 c tahini
- 1/2 c water
- 1 lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 grated garlic
- Salt to taste
- Make the sauce. Mix everything together. Set it aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius.
- Make the falafel. Put every ingredient (except the parsley) in a food processor and blend it together until it is smooth. Put it in a mixing bowl and add the chopped parsley.
- Check if the salt is right for your taste. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Make ‘burgers’ out of the mixture or if you prefer you can also make falafel balls. It will be very sticky, so if you put a little oil on your hands then it can be a little easier.
- Add baking paper to your baking sheet and brush it with a little olive oil. Put your little falafel coins on it and bake them for 25-30 minutes until they are crispy and golden brown. You need to flip them half way.
- Meanwhile, prepare your bowl. Blanch your peas. Cook them in a boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain them and put them in ice cold water to keep the bright color and stop them from further cooking.
- Add the mixed greens, the spinach and the peas to your bowl. Slice the avocados and put them also in a bowl.
- When the falafels are ready you can add them hot or cold, however you prefer (I think warm is much better). Sprinkle it with some black sesame seeds, drop some roasted chickpeas over it and drizzle the tahini sauce over it. You can also squeeze lemon juice over it for the extra freshness.
As you can see, this recipe needs lots of ingredients, but you can prepare this for few days and then you’re good to go! I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do!
Do you like falafel? Have you ever made it by yourself?
Have fun with cooking!