If you follow me in a while, you know, that I really adore gnocchi. Its one of my favorite meal, and I love to experiment with it and make it with different ingredients and sauces. Today, I am here with the classic, delicious version. You can find the recipe of the basic potato gnocchi (gluten free!) and a tasty tomato sauce over it. Click to read more about this classic meal!
This recipe has the gnocchi from scratch and it is just amazing, even in gluten free version. I know it is not everybody’s favorite to prepare, but don’t be scared! If you get enough practice, it will be all fine. I hope I can encourage you and give you enough advises to make it delicious! Besides that it is gluten free, it is also dairy free and vegan!
Vegan and gluten free potato gnocchi with tomato sauce
- 500 g potato
- 280 g GF flour mix
- 3 pinch salt
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled, crushed)
- 400 g crushed tomato
- 200 g tomato sauce
- 1 handful basil
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 300 g cherry tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees for the cherry tomatoes to roast them.
- First, let’s prepare the gnocchi. Cook the potato in whole until its fork tender. Leave the skin on, this will prevent the potato to become too soggy. Mix the flour with the salt. Gather the potatoes and mix them with the flour. When it’s completely mixed, let it rest under kitchen towel for 10 min. Even with gluten free flour it is really important to let the dough rest.
- Cut it in smaller pieces and roll them into ‘snake’ forms (~1 cm diameter). Cut it into 2 cm pieces with a sharp knife. If it gets sticky, or the dough sticks on it, clean it. It will make it easier to cut. Push them in with your finger or roll them over a fork.
- Put the tomatoes on a baking sheet. Put them in the preheated oven and roast them for 20 minutes.
- Sauce: heat up the olive oil, add the peeled and crushed garlic and the dried oregano. Fry them for 2 minutes to make the flavors more intense. Add the crushed tomato and the sauce. Chop the basil and add it with the coconut sugar, salt and pepper to the sauce cook it for 15 minutes under lid.
- Cook it for 15 minutes under lid.Boil water for the gnocchi. Cook them until they are floating on the water. Let them cook for extra 1-2 minutes.
- Take them out from the water add them to the sauce and mix it well.
- Plate it with some fresh basil leaves, roasted tomatoes enjoy it!
I really hope you’ll give it a try and then you can enjoy your own gnocchi! Trust me, it is much better when it’s homemade.
Have you ever made your own gnocchi?
Have a great time with cooking!