When I first tried tapioca pudding, I was in heaven. It was so delicious and creamy, that I couldn’t stop eating it. I just really wanted another bowl of it. It was gluten and dairy free so I could have done it, but it was also very filling, so I knew if I do, I wont get up for the rest of the day. But one thing was for sure. I must make it for myself.
I wasn’t really aware of tapioca pearls before ( I mean I knew about it, but I didn’t really look into it). So what is it? These pearls are made out of tapioca starch. You can use on many ways, probably the most known ones are the little jelly balls in milk tea. So if you cook these pearls in different kind of liquids it will take its color and tastes (normally it doesn’t have much).
For a while I also forgot about it. Until, I’ve found them in a special store and then I had to buy it to make some dessert for myself. Normally, you can find tapioca pearls in Asian shops, but if you are lucky even in a well packed supermarket.
There are different kind of pearls. You can find small and big ones as well. For this recipe i recommend you the small ones. It’s just better and you don’t need to cook it for so long. What you also need to pay attention, that check the package. If it requires overnight soaking, then you better do it, otherwise it takes ages to cook them. If you need to do it, then the normal cooking time in the recipe also changes.
Tapioca pudding is basically, when you cook your pearls in some kind of milk and make it super creamy, just like a pudding. Since, I don’t eat any dairy, I prepared it as a vegan dessert, and what can I say. With coconut it is so much more delicious. Especially, with a hint of vanilla. I was just blown away again with this taste, and I wanted to eat another one again. You just cannot have enough I guess. It also has a funny consistency with those little jelly like pearls. It is really fun to eat. You can pair it with any kind of fruit, whatever you feel like to, it will be very good. The only thing i would advice, that use something with a bit of sour flavor to balance the sweetness.
To make this dessert is not too difficult. The only thing you need to be aware of, that you will have to stir it couple of times, otherwise it can stick together, and then you don’t have separate pearls, just big lumps. Moreover, it cannot cook properly, if they stick. But this is the only thing, otherwise it is pretty easy and worth the time of cooking. Now, lets jump to the recipe!
Vegan tapioca pudding with mango
- 50 g small tapioca pearl
- 250 ml coconut cream
- 300 ml rice-coconut milk
- 50 ml maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 mango
- 2 passion fruit
- Mix all of the ingredients together, except the small tapioca pearls. Pour the mixture in a pan and add the pearls.
- Turn the heat on medium and cook the pearls. You need to stir it a lot of times, otherwise it can stick together, and then it doesn't cook properly. Cooking time can be different (depends what kind of pearls you are using). It can take 15-40 minutes. I just taste it time to time, and when its tender, I take it off from the heat.
- Meanwhile make your sauce. Peel one of the mango, cut it into cubes and add the passion fruit. Blend it until its smooth. Peel the other mango and cut it into small cubes. Put these aside.
- When your pudding is ready, pour it into dessert glasses. Wait until they cool a little bit, then add the mango puree and the mango cubes.
- You can eat it warm or you can rest it in the fridge until it's cooled down.
Let me know when you try this recipe and I hope you will love it as much I do. Enjoy this dreamy and creamy dessert any time of the year!
Have you ever tried tapioca pudding? What is your favorite addition to it?